Thursday, December 11, 2008

Electrocuted

So last night was an interesting night for me. We have been slowly changing our outlets from this nasty yellow color to all white, and we haven't quite gotten all the plates on to cover them up so you won't get electrocuted. :) Anyway, last night I walked in the house, talking to Joe on the phone, and went to switch on the light right by the door (which I never turn on) and somehow stuck my car key into the light switch box (not sure the technical name). Sparks went everywhere, I felt a little buzz :) and half my hand was turned black. After the initial scream, and Joe wondering what the heck happened, I collected myself and tried to turn the lights on. Well none of the lights on the first floor worked, so I went downstairs to the breaker box and that was an easy fix. I come back upstairs and decided to check out my car key, which is also quite black at this point, and I notice some different parts that had been melted, it looked like little meteors had been dropped all over my key. So I thought, this can't be good, and decided to go try it in my car. Well you guessed right, it didn't fit, and it is my only key....and there's no way to copy it now since parts were missing. :) So Joe finally got home and we worked on it for a little bit, trying to chissle off the bubbles of metal and scrape it back into shape, tried it a few times and it still wouldn't fit. Finally, I decided to try the exact-o knife, which isn't always safe for me, but after a little scraping, and a lot of praying I walked out and successfully started my car! I think I got a little teary eyed because I was so happy that it worked! Thank you Lord! We'll see how it ends up working for the next few days because this morning I almost couldn't turn my car off once I got to work, and that could've been a problem. Good times in the Wethje home. Luckily every one is safe, and last night I put some covers on our outlets.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

That sounds like something mom would do! :) I am glad you are okay! I hope you go and get another key made soon. Is your hand okay?