Wednesday, December 1, 2010

2 Month Shots


Look at this face. Who could think that this sweet little smiley boy could cause such a ruckus. Now that my little chunk monk is finally asleep I can go into a little detail about yesterdays adventures.

It started out a typical day. I was innocently going about my business, knowing that he was going in for his two month shots, but not knowing that we would come out of there a hot mess. :)

When we got the the Dr.'s they informed me that they would be giving him two shots and one vaccine orally. For some strange reason I was most concerned about the oral vaccine, that he wouldn't take it, because he had gotten a shot before and had done really well. Believe it or not he was a champ and sucked it right down. Apparently, he has no trouble eating anything and it definitely shows. They gave him the first shot and he whimpered and cried a bit, but did good. Then the nurse told me this was the bad one and he would probably cry for a while. So she gave it and he definitely cried louder, so I quickly picked him up and comforted him. On the way out of the office he fell asleep. I thought to myself, "Geez that was easy.." oh how wrong I was. He slept a good while then woke up hungry so I fed him, after that started the small cry's. It was such a sad thing so I tried comforting, but that was not happening and it escalated from there. So for the rest of the day if he wasn't sleeping or eating he was screaming. Poor, sweet, little, chubby boy. It really was so hard since I couldn't help him and all I could do was comfort. The night went about the same. We are now finally on the other side and I came out of that experience knowing that I should have Children's Tylenol in hand next time, as I've heard that from many mom's.

Is there any other mother advice? I want to be a little more prepared next time so it can go a bit smoother. :)

So grateful he's healthy though, and that we are in a place where we can take care of our boy and get him the shots he needs.

Still learning,
Beth

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So I'm a blog stalker :o) But, what I'm doing for my girl's next set of shots and what I should have done the first time is give a dose of tylenol BEFORE the shots. Everyone says that helps tons.

Unknown said...

About time you updated your blog ;) I love that first pict. of the lil chubster, glad things are calming down today for the lil man, and for you ofcourse too!

Laura said...

Aw, yes Miya's first shot experience was just like that. She cried inconsolably for almost 16 hours. Even through the night. Some kids are just more sensitive, and the first are the hardest because they don't know how to cope with the pain. I agree tylenol before hand is a good bet, but I did that with Miya and noticed no real difference. Even with giving it to her around the clock I didn't notice much difference. BUT it did get better each time. As they get older they learn to cope and their immune system is more developed so they don't feel quite as bad. If he responds this badly for the 4 months shots you can ask the ped. to space them out more, and see if he does better with that. Miya's last shots at 18 months went without a hitch, and she didn't even act like she had gotten vaccines. Hope that helps!! <3

bethwethje said...

Thanks ladies! Helpful thoughts. I appreciate it.

Cassie said...

I agree, Tylenol before, but also a warm bath, gently massaging the area that he had his shots. My babies always seemed to like that. :)