Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cooking Adventures

For some of you who don't know me I love to cook and bake. If we had a lot of money I would be cooking amazing meals every night and Joe would be a happy, well fed man, but we don't so Joe settles for grilled cheese and tomato soup, and the occasional chicken dish or salmon.

Anyway, I thought since I love to bake so much that maybe I could put it to good use and try and start a business selling candies, cookies and cakes...different things like that. So I went to the library to pick up some books about it.
A couple days later we were having some friends over so I thought it would be fun to try out a cool idea I had read about in one of the books. It was a chocolate cup that you fill with whatever you want, and I was going to fill it with fresh fruit.
Now to make the cup you have to melt chocolate and blow up a balloon so it's 4 inches in diameter and dip it half way in to the chocolate (by now you might have an idea as to where this is going). Well I had planned to try this out earlier in the day, but as many of you with kids probably know my plan did not quite work out. So with a half hour left till the guests arrived I decided to hurry (bad idea) and try to get it done. AJ also decided that this was his fussy time so I am holding/calming him down while trying to blow up balloons and dip them in scalding hot, melted chocolate. Well, to my great surprise,the second balloon I dipped exploded all over AJ and I. Joe had been out moving the cars so he walked back into the house to find a crying baby (not because of the chocolate, it luckily just landed on his clothes and didn't hurt him at all) the kitchen covered in chocolate, and his amazingly creative wife and poor son covered in chocolate. Needless to say he was not thrilled since we had about 10 minutes till the guests got here, and AJ still needed to be fed. Great, what to do. Well I quickly cleaned AJ up, cleaned the kitchen, decided to make chocolate covered strawberries/bananas instead, ran upstairs, changed, and then fed the screaming boy. Needless to say the chocolate covered strawberries were delicious, the bananas not so good (note to self bananas don't freeze well) and I have put my dreams of creative baking on hold. It was a really cute idea though and maybe someday, when Joe is gone, I will give it another try.

Well got to cut this short, my chunk just pooped up his back for the 3rd time today. No joke. Any ideas as to how to help stop this little problem. All ideas are welcome since the only thing that comes to my mind is duck tape.

Chef Beth

5 comments:

Life with Gemelos said...

Have you tried going up a diaper size? That usually helps when the girls start doing that. Although Cesar's sister had one kid that did that ALL the time no matter what she did :( Hope that isn't the case for little AJ!

Cassie said...

I agree with the diaper size. That is how I knew when they needed a bigger size. :) Your kitchen fiasco sounds like something I would do. Cheers to trying stuff while the hubby is away....the only truly safe time to try it. hehe :D

Laura said...

Yup up a diaper size helps tons. Every time Miya had that happen I would go up a size and I would put the diaper high enough up her back with it tightly secured around her round belly. But duct tape is a great idea too! :)

Pamela said...

Hey, that was us! Too bad we weren't there to see the chocolate explosion. But it turned out delicious anyway =)

Unknown said...

wish we were the guests that night :) sounds like a fun night!